Ground Mound is in the southern part of Thurston County, near the county line with Lewis County, immediately north of Centralia. It was founded in 1851, stage service arrived in 1854. In 1913, the Washington State School for Girls (also known as the State Training School for Girls) was created, and it opened at Ground Mound on 70 acres in 1914. The school was renamed to Maple Lane School in 1959, and closed in 2011. In the 1920s strawberries became a major crop in the area, and a processing plant was built, but during the Great Depression the industry failed and the Northern Pacific Railway closed the Grand Mound station. By 1941 the population of the area had grown and the community had a post office along with a store and a single gas station In March 2008, a 398-room Great Wolf Lodge opened in Grand Mound, which was majority owned by the Confederated Tribes of the Chehalis Reservation.